Cristiano Ronaldo and his agent Jorge Mendes met with Erik ten Hag on Tuesday to discuss the 37-year-old’s future after he announced he wants to leave Old Trafford
Cristiano Ronaldo is still looking for a way out at Manchester United after announcing he wants to leave for a club competing in the Champions League this season.
And an option may have just become available to him with Atletico Madrid – despite the club’s president Enrique Cerezo previously labelling a move for the five-time Ballon d’Or winner as “practically impossible”.
Ronaldo and his agent Jorge Mendes met with Erik ten Hag on Tuesday to find a solution to the current situation, but the problem remains unsolved with the Portugal international still wanting to leave and United unprepared to let him do so.
One issue facing Ronaldo is finding a club that is prepared to pay his extortionate wages and that can also offer him Champions League football. Bayern Munich have already ruled themselves out of the race for the 37-year-old, while Real Madrid are not interested in re-signing their club icon.
Meanwhile, Atletico Madrid chief Cerezo previously told reporters that they won’t be making a bid for Ronaldo.
“I’ve already said this several times, I don’t know who invented the Cristiano story but I’ll tell you that it’s practically impossible that he comes to Atletico de Madrid,” Cerezo said via El Partidazo De Cope.
“Rumours are rumours and they have to stay as rumours. If you keep on fuelling the rumours then eventually it will look like it’s something real, which it’s not.”
But Atletico Madrid may just change their tune on Ronaldo following a report in Confidencial Digital that they’ve sold the fewest amount of shirts this summer in their history.